Greater Sundborn

Sundbornsån in 1900, seen from the dam north –  Photo: Leif Kihlström

In the 1700s, this part of the village was called ”Greater Sundborn”. The area has long been characterized by its copper smelting huts and other older industrial activities linked to the roaring river.Agriculture has mainly been a sideline.

Major changes took place around 1900. Old mills, forges, sawmills and timber floating chutes were torn down or moved. They built a hydroelectric dam and a power station and the rapids disappeared.

The village changed radically after a new bridge was constructed in 1949, and the road was extended through the village. Old houses and gardens disappeared and car traffic was given priority. Buildings on the old farms were converted into modern houses and craft booths.

An old mill which had previously been moved up from the river, was turned into an art gallery at the end of the 1970s, and was later acquired by Carl Larsson-gården – today it is known as Konsthallen Kvarnen or the Mill Gallery.

You can see how the landscape around the river has changed and how businesses have adapted to new conditions.