Rafting

The Sundborn stream was part of a rafting course which transported timber from the lake Amungen to the Runn lake – Photo: Sundborns Hembygdsförening

140 million logs were rafted on the Svärdsjö River rafting course between 1862 and 1945. Timber rafting
began as soon as the lakes were ice-free. At most 130 men were engaged on the rafts and at various separation points along the watercourse. The work was hard and dangerous. The timber could not always float freely. When log jams occurred, dynamite was sometimes used to free them. This was called ”the devil’s Mikado.”

Timber rafting through Sundborn had a detrimental effect on the environment and restricted the use of the riverfor other purposes. In order to facilitate the transport of timber past rapids and power stations special floating gutters were built. Timber rafting ceased in 1962, and the last floating gutters were demolished in 1977.

Rafting in Sundborn – Photo: Carl Larsson-gårdens fotosamling
The log flume at Stora Hyttnäs – Photo: Carl Larsson-gårdens fotosamling

 

The log flume downstream the Carl Larsson-museum – Foto: Carl Larsson-gårdens fotosamling